LED retrofitting has become a popular option in today’s energy-conscious environment for commercial and industrial businesses. Apart from the energy savings, there are several other advantages that business owners enjoy after retrofitting their facilities to LED lighting, including improved lighting quality and reduced maintenance costs. LED lights also create an aesthetically pleasing, safe, and productive environment. So if you are thinking about switching to LED, here is everything you need to know about an LED retrofit kit.
An LED retrofit converts an existing light fixture, like incandescent, CFL, and fluorescent, to an LED fixture with the help of an LED retrofit kit. Switching to LED lighting provides many benefits due to their compact size, minimal maintenance requirements, energy efficiency, and quality of their color rendering index. Since LED lighting functions differently than traditional lighting, several things should be considered when doing an LED retrofit, including the following.
- Remember that retrofitting your existing light fixtures can limit your options regarding the availability of the types of LED lighting in the marketplace. Most LED fixtures are offered in multiple retrofit configurations to work with most existing fixtures. But this may not be possible every single time.
- Another thing to remember is that dimmer control and switches for traditional lighting may not work for LED fixtures. Hence, when retrofitting LED fixtures, you must change the dimmer switches to an LED-specific version to keep the dimmer feature.
Types Of LED Retrofits
- LED tubes are the most common types of LED retrofit, which require the removal of existing fluorescent tubes and replacing them with LED tubes, thus reusing the existing lighting fixtures.
- LED strip light fixtures: also known as ‘shop lights,’ are simple fixtures that provide an accurate amount of light over a work area at minimum cost. These are widely used in garages, workshops, warehouses, and storage facilities. They can have either replaceable LED tubes or permanently fixed LEDs.
- LED troffer lights are office lighting fixtures that mimic traditional troffer lights. They are mostly installed in drop-ceiling and provide maximum light for working at cubicles and desks. They allow the office area to integrate LED lighting without disrupting existing aesthetics.
- LED vapor-tight fixtures are used for outdoor areas since they are sealed from moisture, dust, and weather. They are common in wet and dusty environments like manufacturing facilities, parking garages, and farmyards.
How To Retrofit LED Lights?
- Gather supplies like wire cutters, industry-grade ladders, drill machines, wire strippers, etc. Make sure you turn off the main supply for safety. If the wire of the new lamp is too short, you can attach an extra piece.
- Remove the old fixture and the whole frame, ballast, starter, and tube light so that you are only left with the A/C supply line.
- Set up a bracket using a drill machine with a screw in the middle. Then attach the lamp frame to the brackets and join the wires.
- It is better to attach three light fixtures’ wires to the main supply’s three wires in the same order. You can use heat shrinks and wire connectors to secure the connection properly.
So if you are interested in upgrading your facility with LED retrofits for your commercial and industrial business, look for a service provider who can provide high-performing, energy-efficient, and eco-friendly solutions.
Featured Image Source: https://images.pexels.com/photos/4492090/pexels-photo-4492090.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&w=600