Outdoor commercial security lights can make your premises a less attractive target for burglars. But how do you know if your space is sufficiently lit to make it safe? The answer to this is lumens, which measure how much light a bulb emits. So, if you plan to buy commercial exterior lighting, let us see how to select the proper lumens to light up your area sufficiently.
As mentioned above, lumens measure the light a bulb emits, which means that more lumens mean a brighter light and vice versa. But for utmost security, you need to have the right balance of brightness of the LED commercial exterior lighting to light up the area. When you buy outdoor LED lights, the recommended level is 700 lumens. However, this depends on several factors:
- Location: determine whether it is a high-traffic area like the front porch or a secluded one.
- Purpose: are you buying the lights for general illumination or to deter potential intruders?
- Size of the area: if the area is large, it will require more lumens.
You can calculate the required lumens by multiplying the square feet by foot candles, which is the measure of light intensity measure.
LED Street Lights
LED street lights are known for their high efficiency and long lifespan. They are energy efficient and environmentally friendly and provide an excellent lumen output for street lighting. They provide bright, clear light that enhances road visibility using less energy. The appropriate lumens for LED street lights depend on several factors, like the type of road, the presence of pedestrians, and the speed limit. Areas with high traffic and pedestrians will require brighter lights. Minor roads and lanes will require 2500-3000 lumens, while busier roads and highways will need 10000-15000 lumens to ensure safety.
When compared to traditional lights, LED street lights are much better in terms of efficiency and durability. They produce more lumens per watt, resulting in brighter lighting with lower energy consumption. They also have an impressive lifespan that may last up to 50,000 hours. They are resistant to damage, thus reducing the need for replacements.
Some Useful Tips
- When it comes to energy efficiency and durability, LED floodlights are a powerhouse as they offer a higher lumen output for a fraction of the wattage.
- Remember that over-lighting has some pitfalls, as it can contribute to light pollution and energy waste. Over-lighting isn’t always better, as it can be blinding and counterproductive.
- The addition of motion sensors and smart technology can enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of outdoor lights by adding an element of surprise for intruders. It can also save energy.
- Though the initial installment of the LED lights is higher, their durability and energy efficiency make them cost-effective in the long run.
- Outdoor LED lights rarely need replacing. However, a routine checkup and cleaning can extend their life.
Choosing the right lumen count for your commercial outdoor lighting is about balancing brightness and energy efficiency. LED flood light scans offer the best balance, thus making them the perfect choice for most outdoor applications.
Featured Image Source: https://www.paclights.com/wp-content/uploads/FALC3.jpg